Monday 6 January 2014

Blackheath Firework Display 2012

Every year parks all across London (and the rest of the UK) set up hot dog carts, coffee stands and sell as many flashing toys to children as possible. Its 5th November, or the closest weekend when the 5th falls on a week night. Last night a group of friends and me took the long journey from zone 3 North London into the deep, dark depths of South London's Blackheath for their annual fire works display.
We got there a little early, so early in fact the hog roast I insist on for dinner at any fire work display I attend wasn't ready yet!  Blackheath is one of the most popular free displays in London so it gets pretty busy there, as well as on the trains to get there, so getting there early really does pay off (even if you do have to wait a while for your hog roast dinner).
After we had all filled our bellies with hot dogs, burgers and candy we went down to the fairground to go on some rides! It was like going back to the early naughties when I was about 14, it was quite simply amazing. There were all the classics; Twister, Dodgems, a Carousel and my personal favorite the Waltzers.

Now, feeling like a big kid, it was time to head out onto the heath to watch the fire works. Never mind Christmas, you can forget about Easter, birthdays and whatever else, bonfire night is without a doubt my favorite night of the year for no other reason then the firework. Yes, the fairs are fun and the food is yummy, but its all about the show!
The display at Blackheath was simply fabulous. Having spent my uni days in Liverpool (I'll give a few little guides to Liverpool soon, to include nights out and exploring the Beatles) the best place to go to see fireworks was Sefton Park, which puts on the very best display I had ever seen! However, as soon as the display is over you would have to make a quick exit from the park unless you want a firework in your face! This being my second display I have been to in London I still get a little concerned walking through the crowds that there will be a "joker" among them ready to set a rocket off. This being Blackheath and not Liverpool you won't need to be worrying about that, something that I always find to be a pleasant surprise.

Right as the show was about to start my house mate pulled a bottle of red wine and some Halloween cups to sip through the demonstration, and I shared a few packs of sparklers with everyone. Just a little word of warning though, we were told off by one of the safety stewards for having them.

                                            

There is, however, just 1 small critique I have about the Blackheath display. All other shows I have been to have had a soundtrack, usually ending in Katy Perry's Firework. It was only a small thing but it does make a difference.

There was also a reptile house with rescued snakes and lizards of all shapes and sizes. We held a lovely snake named Opal. It was nice to see something non traditional at the display, and I'm sure it was a great way for the charity to make a few extra pennies. 

All in all Blackheath had it all, great food, awesome rides, snakes and a fabulous display! I will be there next year for sure! 

Originally posted 4/11/2012, but because I'm an idiot I deleted it!

No comments:

Post a Comment